English Language Teaching Institute of Symbiosis (ELTIS) is a department of Symbiosis International (Deemed University), Pune, India. ELTIS is coordinating a prestigious international project “CLIL@India” to promote a new teaching methodology called CLIL among in-service school teachers.
The project is co-funded by Erasmus Plus and has a total of 7 universities from India and abroad working towards building teachers capacities in content teaching ensuring language enhancement. Symbiosis International (Deemed University) is a Partner University in CLIL@India programme co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union. This programme has three other Indian Universities and 3 European Universities as partners. They are Manipal University (India), Universt degli Studi di Milano (Italy), Chitkara University (Chandigarh), Pondicherry University (Puducherry), Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha (Spain) and Latvijas Universitate (Latvia).
Benefits of using CLIL methodology:
- It is prestigious for any school to be a part of an international project.
- Teachers get trained for using an international methodology for teaching content subjects having language focus. The language could be English/ a foreign language or any regional Indian language
- With special focus on language, students are able to express themselves better using the target language i.e. English or any target language.
- They are given specific language instructions (English or any target language) for better performance.
- They are clear about the content as well as the language due to CLIL methodology used.
- Some chapters/ units from prescribed text books are selected to be taught using CLIL. Hence teachers or students do not deviate from their main teaching/ learning.
- Parents may find their children being able to explain EVS concepts using the target language.
- Students will be more confident using English or any target language. Learning through CLIL will enhance their – content knowledge, language proficiency and cognitive skills thus making them more competent.